What Is the Best Memory Foam Mattress Topper?
Why would you need a memory foam mattress topper? Good sleep does more than ensure you are not cranky the next day.
In fact, sleep has long-term health benefits.
It is not just about getting in eight hours. Instead, it is about the quality of those hours that determines how well you benefit from it.
According to Harvard Health, sleep plays a pivotal role in your learning, mood, judgment, motivation, and memory.
If your mattress is too new to replace, but you want more support for your lumbar or the comfort of memory foam, a mattress topper could be the solution for you.
Related Read: How to Sleep Better and Take Control of Your Health
How We Picked Our Ratings for the Best Memory Foam Mattress Toppers
While we compared the vast list of mattress toppers out there made strictly from memory foam, we narrowed down the choices by using the following criteria:
- Comfort: The purpose of memory foam toppers is to add comfort and lumbar support to your bed without buying a new mattress. Therefore, we took comfort ratings, density, and feel seriously.
- Warranty: Some products come with a short one-year warranty, and when you have to replace a topper annually, you might as well purchase a new mattress by then. We considered how long the warranty was in comparison to the cost of the product.
- Gel versus No Gel: A gel cooling layer helps offset the heat naturally generated by memory foam products. If you tend to get hot at night already, then you want a product with a gel layer.
- Cost: How much extra support are you getting for every dollar you spend? There are a surprising number of high-price memory foam toppers out there that do not deliver, so we tell you how much you can expect to pay for the topper you pick.
Related Read: Our Top Picks for Memory Foam Mattresses
The Best Memory Foam Mattress Toppers You Can Pick Up Today and Sleep on Tonight
While your options are plentiful when it comes to memory foam mattress toppers, we found that these brands ranked high with customers who have already purchased them as well as matching our strict criteria.
1. DreamFoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
DreamFoam is a two-inch gel swirl memory foam mattress topper comes in every size ranging from twin to California king, and it is one of the top selling memory foam toppers online today.
DreamFoam uses its unique infusion of gel and aerated foam to create enough circulation in the topper so that you do not feel hot while you sleep. It promotes healthy air circulation and also gives you the contouring and pressure point relief you need.
The company has been around since 2010, and it is owned by Brooklyn Bedding – a company that manufactures all products here in the U.S.
With your DreamFoam topper, you get a three-year warranty and a hassle-free one that means if your mattress topper doesn’t deliver, the company will replace it.
You will notice that this topper isolates movement, so if your partner tends to toss and turn it won’t disrupt your sleep.
Related Read: Best Memory Foam Pillows For You
2. Best Price Mattress 4-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
The Best Price Mattress topper is a thicker, well-rounded topper that still provides you with the comfort and support you need and ideal if you have lower back pain. It is specific to those who prefer sleeping on their side and gives you the pressure point relief you need while doing so.
It is also dual-sided. The regular foam side is a denser foam for those who sleep on their back, while the other side is a soft, plush foam for side sleepers.
The topper isolates motion, which improves sleep quality.
Buyers of the Best Price version do say there is an odor when you first install it, but that it goes away after a few days. The Best Price version comes with a 5-year generous warranty.
3. Red Nomad
Red Nomad is a 3-inch topper made to offer genuine support inside its memory foam design. It reduces pressure points, alleviates stiffened muscles, and helps those who tend to get sore after sleeping.
It also comes with a one-inch reduction on all sides so that you can still fit sheets over the mattress plus the topper. It supports all sleep positions, and if a three-inch model is too much, you can also choose a two-inch version or upgrade to a four-inch version.
There is no gel cooling, but most customers report that they do not notice any overheating like they do with other memory foam mattresses.
4. Sleep Innovations Dual Layer Topper
Sleep Innovations takes it a step further.
Instead of only providing you with memory foam, they provide you with high-level comfort and support that includes a quilted fiberfill plus memory foam. Unlike other brands, you get a 10-year limited warranty with the dual layer version.
Also, it fits well over the top of your current mattress, and the attached bed skirt keeps it in place under your sheets.
5. Lucid 2-Inch Gel Infused Topper
If you want a gel-infused topper, then the two-inch version from Lucid could be just what you were looking for. It is perfect if you want the added support of memory foam, but you do not want the heat from a traditional foam mattress. It provides superior airflow, and it is thin, easy to maneuver, and comes in at about 2.2 pounds.
The price makes it a very affordable option, but customers report that they received their Lucid topper without a cover; therefore, if the company selling it does not take precautions, it will arrive dirty.
The topper is not ideal if you have severe back problems or joint pain, because it is only 2 inches thick. However, it works well if you are a side sleeper or need extra cushioning.
6. Sleep Joy ViscO2 Ventilated Mattress Topper (4.5 Stars)
The Sleep Joy topper is a hefty one, but with that 12.9 pounds, you get a topper that has more comfort and better ventilation. It is infused with plant-based materials to help boost ventilation in the topper, and there is no odor with this version because the manufacturer removes it before shipping it out.
It is heavy considering it is only 2 inches thick. However, most people say that they find it to be more comfortable than anticipated, and they never experience overheating because of the unique ventilation system it has.
It works well for back and side sleepers, and it gives added support to the upper body.
7. Isolus 2-Inch Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper
This 2-inch topper adds the comfort of a brand-new mattress without the added cost. It has a molded memory foam that conforms to the body better, and it helps relieve natural pressure points regardless of which position you prefer at night.
It has an open-cell construction for natural ventilation, but no gel. It also comes with a 3-year warranty and is CertiPur Certified, which means that the foam meets specific criteria for materials used, performance, and environmental conditions.
This bed is not the best at cooling, though it is designed to do so, it may not be enough if you are a really hot sleeper.
8. Miller 2-Inch Egg Crate Memory Foam with Ventilation
For those who want a budget-friendly memory foam option without the fancy add-ons, there is the Miller 2-Inch featuring an egg crate design. The topper is nice, ventilated, and provides additional support over your innerspring mattress. It also offers pressure relief because it still uses high-quality memory foam.
Miller promises to relieve joint pain and backaches due to poor support in bed. Unfortunately, the company does not offer a warranty; therefore, you will have to replace it if you have any issues.
9. Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Instead of traditional memory foam, the Pure Green version is a 3-inch topper using natural latex with no synthetic fibers added. It is soft, supportive, and helps relieve pressure points. Because it is a latex variety, it stays cooler naturally compared to other memory foam products. It works well for back and side sleepers.
Do not let the “pure green” name fool you. This is not a natural fiber bedding product nor is it organic. However, it still has excellent reviews by those who have purchased it. Unfortunately, the company is not clear on its warranty (if any).
Tips for Purchasing the Best Memory Foam Mattress Topper
While you have a great starting point with the list above, you still need to narrow down the list for yourself. Toppers are a budget-friendly way to add that extra cushion and support without upgrading to a full-size mattress.
Before you buy, consider these tips for your memory foam topper:
- Know the Difference Between Topper and Pad: Some products might advertise as a “pad” and not a topper. Pads are thin and do not have the same thickness and luxurious padding of a topper. They have little to no cushion and instead serve a secondary purpose, such as a warming pad that heats your mattress in the winters. When it comes to lumbar support, however, you want a topper; not a pad.
- Density Rating Matter: Density ratings are often confused with firmness level, but these aren’t the same. A density rating refers to the quality of the foam inside your topper. For firmness, you want to focus on the ILD ratings. Low-density is the softer, plusher memory foam that causes you to sink in, while high-density foam comes in at six pounds per cubic foot and gives more support and durability, while still maintaining comfort.
- Covers for Toppers: Not all mattress toppers are waterproof, and instead of dealing with the moving around, encasing the topper and your mattress in a single waterproof cover is ideal. Not only will it protect the memory foam from stains, but it can also improve your sleep and help reduce some of the heat generated from memory foam toppers.
Update Your Mattress without Replacing by Purchasing the Best Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Upgrading to a brand-new mattress is a significant investment. If your mattress is under 10 years old, you might not need to replace it. Instead, you can supplement with a mattress topper that uses memory foam. Memory foam is the ideal solution for relieving pains and aches associated with poor support. When you add ventilation or gel cooling, you get the comfort without the heat.
Regardless of which model you choose, look for those that have risk-free trials and returns. That way if you do not like the one you try, you can replace it with another until you find the right topper for your needs.
Want more shopping tips for memory foam mattress toppers or looking to upgrade to the latest memory foam bed? Review our expert advice on MattressPicks.