Best Pillow for Neck Pain: The Top 9 Choices
When you need a good night’s sleep, there are three or four key factors you’re looking for.
The right mattress provides the basis of your support and comfort. The right sheets keep you comfortable and cool or warm enough. And the pillow and pillowcase are the final, and often most important, factors in creating your perfect sleep environment.
But there are literally thousands of pillows available on the market.
You could run to Wal-Mart and grab the cheap $5 option from the wire bin at the end rack.
Or you could do some research and compare the quality, materials, and prices of the higher-quality options that could help you get a better night’s sleep.
And if you suffer from sleep pain, you’ll definitely want the best pillow for neck pain, rather than just grabbing something convenient that could leave you in agony each morning.
To help you find that right pillow, we’ve dug around the internet to find the right options we’d recommend you try for your new pillow.
How We Chose the Pillows
To make sure we were creating a list of the absolute best pillows for neck pain, we went searching across the internet to see what professionals recommended.
We also dug through the reviews offered by real-life users to see what they had to say about the pillows the experts suggested.
From these lists, we pulled together the top-rated options below, believing these truly are the best pillow options for neck pain.
The Best Pillows for Neck Pain
From all our research, we found this list of the best pillow for neck pain options.
Each one has unique features, most have cooling technology, and the majority work for any sleeping position you might use each night.
Pillow Choice 9: Classic Brands Conforma Ventilated Memory Foam Firm Pillow
- Foam constrution provides superior pressure relief
- Ventilated memory foam allows greater airflow for cooler sleep
- Responds to pressure and creates the perfect support for head, neck and shoulders
- Features a naturally hypo-allergenic construction
- Perfect for side and back sleeping positions
The Classic Brands Conforma pillow is a unique, and widely praised pillow that you’ll want to consider for your vote as the best pillow for neck pain. It’s made of 100% polyester responsive memory foam. It provides ergonomic support whether you’re a back or side sleeper. The pillow gives superior pressure relief and supportive comfort for your shoulders, neck, and head.
The memory foam is naturally antimicrobial and resistant to allergens, bacteria, mold, and dust mites, so if you’re an allergy sufferer or someone who struggles with immune system issues, this really is a perfect choice. It’s also ventilated and helps regulate your body temperature while you sleep.
The pillow has a medium-plush feel, with a premium plush velour knit cover that’s removable and machine washable.
Pillow Choice 8: The Core Products Tri-Core Pillow
4 out of 5 stars
- THIS PILLOW IS DESIGNED TO HELP CORRECT SPINAL POSTURE OF THE NECK. The concave center cradles the head as the cervical roll supports the neck. Helps restore the proper curvature of the spine. This product is commonly used to help treat a variety of conditions affecting the neck and shoulders.
- A VERY FIRM PILLOW: Tri-Core must be FIRM to provide therapeutic benefits. For the most aggressive correction, choose Standard Firm option. This pillow is NOT a soft comfort pillow and you may need to adjust to the pillow over several weeks.
- CHOOSE A SIZE: The full size pillow is appropriate for most adults. IMPORTANT: It may take time to adjust. The pillow is working to help restore proper posture during sleep
- TEMPERATURE REGULATING: Outlast interacts with your body to help balance temperature by absorbing, storing and releasing heat. MADE IN USA. Tri-Core Standard Firm 24 x 16 inches. Nonallergenic, 100 percent virgin polyester fiber fill.
- YOU MAY NEED TO ADJUST to the pillow over several weeks. Immediate overuse may increase neck pain. Most users who slowly ease their way into orthopedic correction achieve the best results. Alternate between Tri-Core and current pillow while your body adjusts. The shaped center is NOT FOR SIDE SLEEPING.
If you’re looking for a highly reviewed pillow with super great ratings, check out the Core Products Tri-Core Pillow. This pillow provides support through its unique design and materials.
The pillow has a trapezoid-shaped canter that delivers orthopedic support for your back by cradling your head, while the built-in neck roll firmly keeps your neck from lolling about while you sleep.
The cover is a breathable cotton material, and the pillow comes in three sizes from standard down to petite to best fit your needs.
The neck roll has two different widths on the top and bottom to provide a custom fit, while the side lobes are taller on the side and designed for side sleepers. That makes this pillow perfect for back or side sleepers.
The pillow is made of high resiliency fibers that will spring back, even after they’re compressed for a while, providing you with an exceptionally comfortable and sound sleep for years to come.
Pillow Choice 7: The MyPillow Premium Series Bed Pillow
4.2 out of 5 stars
- Made with patented interlocking fill
- Gives you the exact support you need as an individual
- Machine washable and dryable
- 10-year warranty
- Made 100% in the USA - Manufactured in our home state of Minnesota! – 16.5” x 26” + 2"
The MyPillow Premium Bed Pillow is designed to perfectly adapt to your body and personal sleeping needs. They’re made of a patented interlocking fill material that never goes flat.
The pillow comes in one of four sizes. You determine your size based on your clothing size through the provided fitting guide. This style of fitting makes sure your pillow has the right amount of fill to suit your body type.
The MyPillow is machine washable and dryable and is made in the USA.
Pillow Choice 6: Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Contour Pillow
4.4 out of 5 stars
- BED PILLOW: This pillow for neck and shoulder pain provides therapeutic support so you wake up feeling refreshed, recharged and ready to take on the day.
- MEMORY FOAM: The therapeutic design of this contour memory foam pillow adapts to your head, neck and shoulders to provide the enhanced support and gentle alignment you need.
- COMFORT & SUPPORT: Choose between the higher and lower contours for the support that feels best. The contour pillow design helps reduce pain and stiffness - a great back and side sleeper pillow.
- MADE IN THE USA: The foam for our bed pillows is proudly made in the USA and comes with a 5 year warranty.
The Sleep Innovations Memory Foam Contour pillow is designed for sleeping with on your bed, using a therapeutic shape and design that adapts to your neck, head, and shoulders to provide the perfect night’s sleep.
The gentle alignment from the pillow helps reduce pain and stiffness in the morning, and the full proper support you need every night for a healthy, deep sleep.
This pillow is made in the USA and comes with a 5-year limited warranty.
4.6 out of 5 stars
- AWARD WINNING---WIRECUTTER TOP PICK 3 YRS an independent review organization. -- MADE IN THE USA - FULLY ADJUSTABLE – IDEAL FOR ALL SLEEP POSITIONS. BACK, SIDE, STOMACH. The NEW inner zipper allows you to ADJUST THE PILLOW THICKNESS to make it a perfect fit for YOU. - Whether you like it fluffy, flat or in the middle, simply open the zipper & remove some fill to have it your way. - FALL ASLEEP FAST and SLEEP BETTER than you ever have before!
- OUR MEMORY FOAM PILLOWS USE ONLY CertiPUR-US CERTIFIED FOAM & MEET STRINGENT STANDARDS for content, emissions & durability. They are analyzed by independent, accredited testing labs. – SLEEP RESTFULLY knowing that our pillows for sleeping have NO ozone depleters, TCEP flame retardants, TDCPP, PBDEs, lead, mercury, and heavy metals, formaldehyde, phthalates regulated by the CPSC, or CFCs – This assures you and your family are using a HEALTHY AND SAFE PRODUCT especially for those during pregnancy.
- ULTRA DELUXE PREMIUM QUALITY SHREDDED MEMORY FOAM will not become lumpy or go flat. It remains uniform in density, CONFORMING TO YOUR PERSONAL HEAD & NECK CONTOUR for a perfect nights sleep & returns to shape, night after night, – Because the foam is shredded, you can maneuver & mold your pillow so that it is comfortable for back stomach & side sleepers. – Promotes PROPER BACK, NECK & SPINE ALIGNMENT. Help BACK & NECK PAIN, TOSSING & TURNING, Insomnia, Migraines, Snoring and ORTHOPEDIC PROBLEMS.
- MICRO-VENTED KOOL-FLOW TECHNOLOGY BAMBOO COVER is soft as a cloud & provides superior air circulation and breathability while regulating temperature to KEEP THE PILLOW SURFACE COOL for the best sleep ever! No more sweaty faces - Experience extreme comfort with our memory foam pillow
- HYPOALLERGENIC – DUST MITE RESISTANT – MACHINE WASHABLE - Allergy sufferers no longer need to compromise comfort! Now you can have a memory foam pillow that is clean all the way through! – YOU & YOUR FAMILY DESERVE THE BEST BED PILLOWS! – Our pillows are BUILT FOR COMFORT, SUPPORT & DURABILITY!
This pillow from Xtreme Comforts is a completely adjustable pillow to adjust to any sleep position. It’s made with a Kool-Flow micro-vented bamboo cover for the ultimate cool while sleeping.
The inner zipper allows you to easily and quickly adjust the thickness and firmness so that you can sleep perfectly every time.
The pillow will never get lumpy or flat and will always contour properly to your neck and head. And the micro-vented Kool-Flow technology bamboo cover is super soft and provides superior air circulation for breathability and comfort all night long.
The materials in the pillows are 100% Certi-PUR certified foam for environmental and health safety. The pillow is also hypoallergenic, dust mite resistant, and fully machine washable to keep it that way for the lifetime of the pillow.
The pillow comes with a 6-year warranty and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee for 30 days.
Pillow Choice 4: Cervical Neck Traction Pillow from Arc4Life
4.7 out of 5 stars
- PILLOWS FOR SLEEPING - Sleep comfortably with proper neck curve alignment. Helps military neck and improves neck posture. Sleep on your side or back.
- PILLOWS THAT HELP SUPPORT YOUR NECK - Best neck stretcher: Lay on the traction v side on your back. Provides ergonomic support for the back sleeper.
- QUEEN STANDARD SIZE - An orthopedic pillow with 3 sizes - king ,queen and travel. Hold chiropractic adjustments extra better. ** Check the sizing chart before ordering. If you order a pillow that is too big, it will cause neck pain and soreness**
- CERVICAL NECK TRACTION PILLOW - One of the best relaxer bed pillows on amazon for your home. Cervical traction for a pinched nerve and disc issues.
For those who know they’ve got some issues with their neck and their sleeping position, the Cervical Neck Traction Pillow from Arc4Life is an outstanding choice. It’s perfect for the side or the back sleeper by offering gentle neck traction, whichever way you lie down.
The Neck Traction pillow is ergonomically designed, and hypoallergenic. It comes in different sizes to meet your needs – just review the sizing chart before ordering to make sure you’re getting the right one for your needs.
This pillow is especially good for anyone who suffers from muscle spasms, pinched nerves, and disc issues.
This is a corrective pillow, however, so if you’re currently experiencing pain when you purchase the pillow, start out using it only 5-10 minutes at a time to start.
Pillow Choice 3: The Z Gel Memory Foam L-Shape Pillow for Side Sleepers
4.9 out of 5 stars
- Ergonomic L-shape design provides support for the head, neck and shoulders, offering extra comfort and support for side sleepers
- GEL DOUGH formula creates a cooler, softer memory foam that helps eliminate sleeping pains
- Replaces the need for multiple pillows for the right support and comfort
- Tencel removable cover with superior moisture-management properties aids in optimal sleeping temperatures
- Body pillow measures 26" x 26" x 5" with 12" envelope; protected by a 5-year U.S. warranty
If you are a side sleeper, this amazing pillow is definitely a top choice to check out for the best pillow for neck pain. The unique L-shape is an ergonomic design that supports the head, shoulders, and neck, and is specifically designed to give extra support and comfort to side sleepers.
The pillow is filled with a gel dough that creates a cooler, softer memory foam that helps reduce sleeping pain. And the design eliminates your need to have multiple pillows while still getting the comfort and support you need every night.
The Tencel removable cover is made with superior moisture-management technology that aids in keeping you at the right temperature while you sleep.
The Z Gel memory foam L-shape pillow comes with a 5-year warranty.
Pillow Choice 2: The Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillow
5 out of 5 stars
- FINALLY – YOU HAVE FOUND THE ONE! – Meet the world’s best adjustable pillow. Customize it to achieve just the right individual balance between support and comfort. Whether you are a side, back or stomach sleeper – this is the pillow for you! Get ready for the most restful sleep you can experience.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL – Experiencing pain, snoring or tossing and turning are all signs of sleeping wrong. Our unique adjustable design allows you to access the memory foam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape or sleep position. SLEEP RIGHT! oam fill, which you can add or remove to suit your size, shape, and sleep position. Sleep comfortably and aligned at last.
- IS YOUR PILLOW GREEN GUARD GOLD CERTIFIED? – Our Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillows undergo strict, third-party lab testing and are CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified to ensure safety and quality. No toxic or harmful chemicals here! IT`S 100% SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR LOVED ONES. Vegan & Cruelty Free – no animals were harmed in the making of this awesome pillow.
- WE CARE – ONLY THE HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS USED! - The case is made with proprietary Lulltra fabric, a blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester that provides breathability and softness. Hypoallergenic & dust mite resistant, you can finally wake up refreshed. Unlike other pillows – we freshly manufacture our foam instead of using repurposed materials. A bonus ½ lb bag of fill is included with your order if you need a higher loft.
- YOUR BEST SLEEP EVER, GUARANTEED - You can now purchase with confidence. If you don’t fall in love within 100 nights (although we’re sure you will), contact us directly to return the pillow for a full refund, no questions asked. Each Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Pillow also comes with a 5-year warranty. MADE IN USA.
The Coop Home Goods premium adjustable loft pillow is an awesome hypoallergenic option. It’s made of shredded Certi-PUR memory foam, meaning it’s environmentally friendly and safe to use.
You can easily adjust the pillow’s thickness and firmness by removing or adding foam. The materials are 60% polyester, and 40% rayon derived from bamboo.
The shredded foam construction also gives better ventilation, meaning a more comfortable temperature for sleeping, especially if you tend to sleep hot.
This pillow also gives proper alignment, which means better sleep, less neck pain, and the pillow is made of hypoallergenic materials that are dust mite resistant. The pillow is also machine washable.
The pillow has 100-day money-back guarantee with no questions asked if for any reason you are not satisfied. The pillow also comes with a 5-year warranty.
Pillow Choice 1: The Water Pillow by Mediflow
5 out of 5 stars
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Our Water base technology has been clinically proven by an independent Johns Hopkins study to reduce neck pain and improve overall quality of sleep, bringing you the best night's sleep you have ever experienced
- IDEAL FOR ALL SLEEPING POSITIONS: -If you are a side, back or stomach sleeper or switch in between - the water will move with your head, so you will never have to adjust or fluff this pillow
- CUSTOMIZE TO YOUR COMFORT: Our Water based Pillow can be customized to your liking! Adjust the water level for make your pillow soft, medium, firm or even medium-firm
- SUPERIOR MATERIAL: This pillow is made with a fully sealed and insulated water pouch with a resilient polyester fiber layer on top, encased in a 100% hypoallergenic cotton shell, providing exceptional comfort for the head
- QUALITY CARE, MADE IN THE USA: We care about the quality of our products, & stand by the quality with our 3 Year Warranty and 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee - if you aren't happy within 30 days, we’ll take it back, no questions asked. To protect your pillow’s waterbag & to keep the quality of our pillows intact, we never vacuum pack or roll our pillows into small boxes to save on shipping
The Water Pillow from Mediflow is a truly unique and awesome pillow for neck pain. The pillow has been clinically proven by independent studies to reduce neck pain and improve your overall quality of sleep.
It’s so uniquely fantastic that you’re likely to experience your best night’s sleep of your life.
This pillow is perfect for all sleeping positions, whether you’re on your side, back, or stomach, or if you rotate back and forth during the night. The water-based pillow can even be customized for your liking by adjusting the water level to adjust the softness or firmness.
The pillow is made with a fully-sealed and insulated water pouch, with a resilient Dacron Hallofil fiber layer on the top. The whole thing is encased in a 100% hypoallergenic cotton shell.
The pillows are made in the USA and come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee trial period, as well as a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty.
This pillow is perfect for anyone with sleep trouble or recovering from whiplash.
3.7 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars
4.2 out of 5 stars
4.4 out of 5 stars
4.6 out of 5 stars
4.7 out of 5 stars
4.9 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars
5 out of 5 stars
The Buyer’s Guide for the Best Pillow for Neck Pain
It’s a tough choice, and every pillow we’ve listed is a highly-rated, well-made option, but you should be looking for specific issues you have while sleeping. If you’re a side sleeper, look specifically for pillows designed for you. The L-Shaped Z Gel memory foam pillow, for example, is a perfect option for people who sleep on their sides and struggle with neck pain.
No matter your sleep position, you’ll want to look for pillows that are hypoallergenic, like the Xtreme Comforts option or the Acr4Life pillow. Allergies are one of the biggest reasons people struggle to get a good night’s sleep.
We also recommend going for a pillow that’s adjustable if you tend to sleep on your side or back. These allow you to adjust the loft to fit your neck precisely, allowing you to diminish the likelihood of waking up with a stiff or painful neck.
These adjustable pillows come in a variety of materials. Some examples of this type of pillow include Coop Home Goods pillow that uses shredded memory foam. Other forms of adjustable loft pillows include the Water Pillow from Mediflow that uses water to adjust the loft, or some options like buckwheat husks for those with especially bad allergies.
If possible, try a pillow that comes with a sleep trial to verify that you’re getting the best option possible, especially if you have allergies or have had issues with particular materials in the past for any reason.
And if you’re not sure if the suggested pillows might be a good option, it’s also highly recommended that you discuss your pillow options with your orthopedist to see what she says.