Best Mattresses of 2018 Reviewed this Year
There are few purchases more important than your mattress.
While buying a mattress might not seem like a big deal at the time, the fact of the matter is that mattresses are expensive. Thus, unless you’re insanely rich, you’re probably not going to be able to rush out and buy a new one anytime soon.
Not only does your mattress need to last you for the long haul, but its quality affects the quality of your sleep and, by extension, the quality of your life.
Thus, it’s never a good idea to take a mattress purchase lightly. Our advice is to put a lot of thought and research into your buying decision. And, fortunately, we can help with that. We invite you to read on to discover our picks for the best mattresses 2018 has to offer.
2 out 5 stars
2 out 5 stars
2.5 out 5 stars
2.5 out 5 stars
3 out 5 stars
3 out 5 stars
4 out 5 stars
5 out 5 stars
How We Chose Our Ratings
Now, before we jump in and share our mattress picks with you, you’re probably wondering how we arrived at our ratings.
Rest assured that we didn’t just pull these picks out of thin air. We also are not sharing these choices with you to sway your thinking or to try and sell you something.
Unlike a lot of sites out there that claim to offer unbiased reviews, our intentions are pure. All we want is for you to make an informed purchasing decision for yourself, and our goal is to offer you the information you need to do just that.
We arrived at our picks by doing lots of research, all so you don’t have to, although we certainly don’t discourage you from doing research of your own. We looked at customer reviews and data, brand reputation, and a whole lot more, all to provide you with real, unbiased information.
So, as you read through our selections, keep in mind that they exist to give you a choice, not to attempt to make some kind of choice for you.
2 out 5 stars
- HIGH-QUALITY- Designed to provide perfect contouring comfort for a restful night’s sleep with advanced coil-on-coil construction and enhanced lumbar support.
- AFFORDABLY PRICED— Experience a premium mattress without paying a premium price. No retail overhead = No markups. No gimmicks. No pushy salespeople.
- ECO-FRIENDLY— Designed to be as eco-friendly as possible, with an organic cotton pillow top, recycled steel coils, an antimicrobial treatment, and a natural thistle flame retardant, Our Mattress has no chemical sprays, formaldehyde, so you can sleep worry-free.
- RISK-FREE— 120-night trial, free shipping & setup, 15-year warranty, 24/7 Customer Service
When it comes to “big names” in the mattress industry, Saatva isn’t really one of them. The brand has been around for close to a decade now, but it’s still not a “big name.” However, that doesn’t mean it can’t make a great mattress.
The Saatva Mattress comes in three different selections. You can go for the soft option, the luxury firm option, or the firm option. Having this ability to customize your mattress is definitely nice.
And, no matter which option you choose, you’ll enjoy a soft, cotton top that makes the mattress extra comfortable. It’s not just comfortable, though. This mattress is very durable and well-made and can last you for a very long time.
In fact, if you buy from the manufacturer or a supported retailer, you will typically enjoy a fifteen-year warranty. This is on top of the four-month trial period the company offers, during which you can return or exchange your mattress if you’re not satisfied.
All in all, we found this was a pretty great mattress. The only things, in fact, that kept it from ranking higher on our list are the fact that all the models were a bit on the “bouncy” side, which not every sleeper likes. Plus, we weren’t crazy about the high price tag. Other than that, though, we think this mattress deserves a solid 2 out of 5 rating.
2 out 5 stars
- #1 FASTEST GROWING BRAND IN THE U.S. - Recognized as the fastest growing e-commerce retailer by Internet Retailer, Nectar is a memory foam bed-in-a-box mattress designed for every kind of sleeper. Nectar is part of the Resident House of Brands.
- TWO FREE PREMIUM PILLOWS INCLUDED - And with every mattress purchase, you also receive two free Nectar Premium Pillows. They will be found within the mattress packaging. ($150 value)
- INDUSTRY LEADING 180 NIGHT TRIAL- You can try Nectar risk-free for 180 days and return it if you are not 100% happy (180 day trial is for orders on Amazon only). This is nearly 3 months longer than the industry standard.
- NECTAR FOREVER WARRANTY - We guarantee Nectar for as long as you own the mattress. Longest warranty in the business (we checked).
- IDEAL SUPPORT FOR ANY POSITION - Optimal level of firmness, coolness, breathability, and comfort. Nectar molds to your body, relieving all your aches and pains. It is firm enough to support you, but soft enough to be gentle where you're sensitive. Even on those 90° nights, Nectar sleeps cool, gently regulating heat for an ideal temperature all night long.
If you weren't too keen on the fact that not a lot of people are familiar with the Saatva Classic, you'd love the Nectar mattress brand, since it is much more popular and well-known.
Out of all of our choices, we'd have to say that this one is one of the more affordable options. Plus, if you’re willing to put in a little effort, you can typically find deals and discounts online to help make it even more affordable.
We like the fact that this mattress features five layers for ultimate comfort. Plus, if you tend to sweat when you sleep, you’ll adore the wicking feature, which keeps you cool and also keeps the mattress nice and dry.
Depending on where you buy, this mattress also often comes with a lifetime warranty to protect your purchase. It isn’t super fancy and doesn’t have a ton of extra features, but it’s a good mattress for the price, which is why we score it a fair 2 out of 5.
2.5 out 5 stars
- $100 OFF - Clip the Coupon Below Before Adding to Your Cart and SAVE $100 on your purchase
- COPPER INFUSED MEMORY FOAM - This copper infused cooling system mattress provides cooler sleep and variable support great for all sleeping positions
- FLIPPABLE FIRMNESS - Flip for comfort. Layla is a medium soft on one side and firm on the other so you get two firmness levels in one mattress
- THERMOGEL INFUSED COVER - Provides excellent heat dispersion and a cooler night's sleep. Thermo Gel reacts to body temperature to keep your body from getting too warm while you sleep. No more jolting awake in the middle of the night when you get too hot.
- EASY HASSLE FREE RETURNS IF YOU DON'T LOVE IT - Contact us with ANY issues and if you don't love it, we will have the mattress picked up from your doorstep and refund you in full -- that's it!
Another lesser-known mattress brand that makes amazing mattresses is Layla.
When we explored this brand, we definitely found a lot to love. For starters, it’s a foam, memory bed, which means it conforms to your body and how you sleep for ultimate comfort. In fact, the more you use it and the longer you have it, the more comfortable this mattress gets. Not many mattresses can say that!
It will also keep you nice and cool thanks to the unique ThermaGel cover, which activates itself whenever the sensors detect excess heat or moisture. Talk about an amazing, high-tech mattress!
We also really love the fact that the cooling property can be helpful to those with inflammatory diseases, like arthritis. It’s also designed to help improve blood flow, which can assist with diabetes and overall health as well.
Aside from these awesome features, this is a thick, three-layer mattress and comes with a lifetime guarantee. Thus, you can ensure that your mattress purchase will last for a long time to come.
Of course, like many mattresses on our list, we’re not thrilled with the high price. But, if you can afford it, we give the Layla a fair 2.5 out of 5 score.
2.5 out 5 stars
- Our mattress: Great things come in small packages. The Leesa mattress in a box is beautifully designed with three premium foam layers for cooling, body contouring and pressure-relieving core support. With the all-new Top layer of high Quality foam, you’ll experience enhanced pressure relief and better rest. The Leesa mattress offers a universal adaptive feel, which adapts to your body type while you sleep, regardless of your sleeping style.
- Cooling comfort: Our exclusive high quality foam’s microcell structure promotes airflow while still providing the perfect amount of hug and bounce. So, you sleep cooler and get the comfort and support you need.
- Made in USA: The Leesa mattress is designed, assembled and manufactured in the USA with high-performance foams.
- Sleep easy: because we know it takes more than one night to fall in love, We want to make your purchase 100% risk-free. All Leesa mattresses include a 100-night in-home trial backed by a no-hassle, full refund policy.
- Wrapped in luxury: all Leesa mattresses are covered with our iconic 4 stripe mattress cover. We’ve worked hard to make this highly breathable, virtually seamless mattress cover with no tapered edges one of the most comfortable mattress covers on the market, so you can sleep well.
We know we’re giving you a lot of mattresses from lesser-known brands, but just trust us on this. Sure, Leesa may not be a “big brand,” but we feel its mattresses are of the same quality.
Plus, these mattresses are considered to be one of the most affordable options on our list.
Even though Leesa mattresses are not super popular, they have actually been around for a while - since about 2014. Thus, you’re not dealing with some brand-new, totally inexperienced brand.
We love this mattress for how well it works for both back sleepers and side sleepers. Plus, the new design, which features foam technology, makes these mattresses more comfortable than ever.
This mattress is also particularly good at relieving pressure or discomfort anywhere in the body, thanks in large part to the new design.
Even better yet, especially for those looking to save money and still get a great mattress, the company offers free standard shipping when you order directly from the manufacturer. Of course, “white glove” services will cost you more, as will having your old mattress disposed of.
We love that the company offers these options, though we wish they weren’t quite so steep and weren’t only available when you order direct. Still, though, we give this mattress a decent 2.5 out of 5 rating.
3 out 5 stars
- QUALITY MATERIALS- Engineered with 4 layers including premium, high-density memory foam that provides support while contouring and conforming to your body.
- SLEEPS COOL- The Designed to sleep cool with a non-toxic, proprietary cooling gel layer.
- ECO FRIENDLY- Memory foam mattressesdesigned to be as eco-friendly as possible, with an organic cotton pillow top, eco-friendly foam, a natural thistle flame retardant, and an antimicrobial treatment.
- UNMATCHED VALUE- By eliminating the overhead associated with retail stores, we were able to put in all of the luxury features found in premium mattresses. We could charge a lot more for the Loom & Leaf, but we prefer to pass the savings on to you.
- SUPERIOR SERVICE- 120-night trial, free shipping & setup, 15-year warranty, 24/7 Customer Service
Yet another item on our best mattresses list that isn’t from a major brand, this awesome mattress from Loom and Leaf still deserves its fair share of recognition.
It is actually quite affordable when compared to other memory foam mattresses on the market, though it’s still not as cheap as we’d like.
Despite the price tag, however, this is a pretty awesome little mattress. To start with, you can enjoy a four-month trial to ensure that you are happy with your purchase without being out the money if you’re not.
We also love the organic cotton cover and the fact that this mattress is environmentally-friendly all around. In fact, if you are someone who worries about the size of your carbon footprint, this mattress is for you.
This mattress also features great spinal support, making it perfect for those who regularly suffer from back pain, and it also has a unique cooling gel inside that will keep you from getting too hot while you sleep.
It’s not super fancy, but it’s still a great mattress in our opinion and deserves a fair 3 out of 5.
3 out 5 stars
- HYBRID GEL FOAM AND COIL - We've combined cooling Visco Gel support foam with a durable Caliber Coil system, granting two sided firmness in the first flippable hybrid mattress online.
- TWO LUXURY FEELS - Two breathable and ergonomically supportive sleep surfaces in a medium and firm feel designed for side, stomach and back sleepers. Sleeps comfortable and cool, with built in airflow and cool sleeping fabric.
- AMAZON-EXCLUSIVE - We know it's hard to find a trusted brand on here. Made in the USA using CertiPUR-US certified foam. Easy returns through Amazon during the sleep trial.
- SLEEP TRIAL & WARRANTY - 30 Night Sleep Trial that gives you the time you need to adjust to either firmness. Then backed by a 10-Year Limited Warranty.
Another mattress that we really love is this offering from Nest Bedding.
It’s a true hybrid mattress that features both coils and memory foam. In our opinion, that’s a great combination, though some people may prefer a more traditional mattress.
If you don’t mind the hybrid design, however, you will appreciate the lifetime warranty, which helps to protect your investment.
This mattress also features excellent edge support and a great cooling fabric that should keep you comfortable all night long. We give it a high 3 out of 5.
4 out 5 stars
- 4-layers of premium foam construction for support, breathability, and bounce
- Breathable open-cell foams have tiny pores to let hot air escape, keeping you cool at night
- Combination of softer foam for shoulder region and supportive firm foam for core and hip area
- Please note: Any new product will expand within minutes and can have a mild scent upon unboxing that will dissipate in a few hours in a well-ventilated room
- 100 night trial and free returns within 100 days of receipt of shipment on products sold by Casper
In our best mattresses list, we have tried to include plenty of affordable options, and this selection from Casper certainly fits the bill.
The first thing to understand about Casper is that it is a true foam mattress. If you like foam mattresses, then this is a great one. If you find them hot and stuffy, as some people do, however, it’s probably not the one for you.
However, for foam-mattress fans, the Casper is truly great. It is thick and well-padded for superior comfort and durability.
It also features a 100-night free trial via many retailers, so you can give it a try to see if you like it without risking your money. We love this simple, affordable foam mattress for what it is and give it a 4 out of 5.
5 out 5 stars
- 12" profile offering a versatile support for people who change positions while sleeping
- 3" Bio-Pur memory foam cooling layer, 2” Affinity layer, 7" Bio-Core sag-free support layer
- Celliant-infused cover clinically proven to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer
- Proudly made in the USA using patented VPF technology
- Compatible with an adjustable bed foundation
Our number one mattress pick might surprise you since it’s not one of the more popular options on the market. However, we still recommend it highly.
This mattress from AS3 is very soft, but supportive at the same time, and is specifically designed to be comfortable for people who change positions during sleep.
We also love that it’s super easy to clean and doesn’t stain, so you don’t have to worry about spilled drinks in the bed or even those embarrassing drool spots.
This mattress is also good when it comes to motion transfer. If you have a partner who tosses and turns a lot, you shouldn’t even feel it with this great mattress. Furthermore, the mattress is supportive of pressure points, which means you should feel much better each morning when you wake up, especially if you regularly struggle with back or joint paint.
We love this mattress for its simplicity, great price, and superior comfort and are proud to give it a 5 out of 5 score.
Buyer’s Guide to Mattresses 2018
Obviously, we have given you a lot to think about when it comes to choosing a mattress. However, we hope you’ll take our advice in stride.
The best piece of advice we can offer you, however, is to go with your gut and to take advantage of those free “sleep trials” so many mattress companies offer.
The best way, after all, to truly test a mattress is to…well…actually test it. Base your initial choice off of your own research and conclusions, but make your final decision by utilizing trials.
Make sure you read all the fine print on any trial offer you try. While most of them are good and very fair, some do have hidden loopholes that make it hard to not end up purchasing the mattress. In general, though, as long as you return the mattress in the time required if you decide it’s not for you, you can avoid being charged the cost of the mattress.
So many people, however, don’t actually return a mattress when they don’t like it. Our advice, though, is don’t be afraid to return a mattress that isn’t “you.” After all, you deserve the very best sleep and the very best life possible, and the best way to achieve that goal is with the right mattress.